Monday, November 28, 2005

Here, Here, Absent

Brian and I just got done watching Wife Swap. I know, trash. This one was good. It was a Christian couple and an atheist couple. It was great to see a strong Christian couple, a preacher's wife at that, being examples for the others. Of course at this time, they are not converted, but I believe a seed has been planted.
I began to think about the man of the atheist couple. He has his own web radio show (focusing on atheism of course) and works 18 hours a day and not spending time with his family. I began to think, which is worse: to have a dad at home who is absent or just a plain old absent dad who is not there? Brian says the one that is just plain old absent because you don't expect anything and don't have to hope he will pay attention.
I don't know which one I would choose. Teaching, I have seen the plain old absent and I think it is pretty damaging and I have seen the work-aholic fathers too.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Isn't it amazing and a little frightening to see how much influence we have over how our children turn out.

It really makes me think about every thing I say and do with and to my children!

Whew, what a awesome responsibility God has given us!