Saturday, October 26, 2013

Don't Say the "S" Word

Many people, even myself, think about homeschooled children as these weird, awkard little people who don't know how to interact with others. I have looked upon my own kiddos and have Abbie, who is very active, loves people, loves to chat, and is overall, the social butterfly and in her very humble opinion, is famous at Vista since everyone knows her.
Ellie is the quiet kiddo who can sit around the house all day in pj's and be completely happy for hours...days...weeks?
Bryn is still evolving but I think she will fall somewhere in the middle of these two.
I do worry about socializing them. How will they make friends? Who will their friends be since they'll be at home while everyone else in school?
There are a few things we do have in our favor.
1. They will be involved in a homeschool gymnastics class and I have asked for them to be in a class where there are ages close to where they are.
2. They are at church on Sunday and Wednesdays.
3. My future plan is to find a coop for us to join to hang out with other kiddos who are homeschooled.
4. I know many moms who homeschool so for me, it will be having to be diligent to pursue these relationships, even if it means me stepping out of my comfort zone.

One article I read said that kiddos who have awkard parents, whether they are in public school or homeschool, will be awkard. Here's hoping I'm not awkward. Feel free to check back in year to see how we fair.
"What most people  mean by "socialization" is simply socializing. And they regard children are not in school as being deprived of this opportunity. However, studies show that homeschooled children participate in more activities than the average child." (Free Range Learning)
"A homeschooler who interacts with parents and siblings more than with peers displays self-confidence, self-respect, and self-worth. She knows she's part of a family unit that needs, wants, and depends on her. The result is an independent thinker who isn't influenced by peers and is self-directed in her actions and thoughts." (Social Skills and Homeschooling: Myths and Facts)

The Home School Mom had a great article about homeschooling and socialization, highly recommend you take a couple minutes to read over it.

Please hear, I am not against public school. I am not pulling my kiddos out of public school (charter) because I am against it. I do, however, don't want misconceptions formed that my kids won't be socialized because I have made a personal choice to teach them.

Each family follows the path that God gives them. He has chosen homeschooling and whether it be for the rest of their education or for a season, either way, I will be faithful. He knitted these littles together in my womb, he knows them full well. He knew their bent, their design, their personality, and he determined that it would be best for all of us to be home. And so, I walk in faith that he will socialize them as he sees fit and I am to be faithful to the good works he has prepared in advance.


No comments: