Sunday, August 24, 2008

What's Your Motive?

Today's sermon was one of those, "Got me. That's me" sermons. It was out of Luke where Jesus teaches his disciples to pray. To sum it up, prayer should be about God, to God, for God, to glorify God. His prayer was all about God--hallowing his name, asking for just enough strength, mercy, and grace for the day, forgiving others, and needing help in this life. Then the question came: What is the motive behind your prayer? Ouch. That stung. Most of my prayers are self-centered. An example of one of mine is: Jesus, please fix Ellie to be happy. What is the driving motive: to make life easier for me. Does that glorify God or does that become and idol in my life where I want that more than God? I pray for the spirit to keep this sermon fresh on my heart, to begin to pray prayers that are God-centered, and to be mindful and repent when they are selfish.

No comments: