Friday, January 17, 2014

2 Months and Still Going

If you remember we pulled the girls out of public education to homeschool them back in November. Currently as I write this the two older are running around in the backyard playing with the dogs and jumping on the trampoline as the littlest naps, all during "school" times. Yes, we should be doing science right now but it'll be there when I'm done, right?
As a Type A person, being flexible has been one of the hardest things for me. Learning that it's OK to stop a lesson because it's going south instead of feeling that it needs to be done right now or you'll get behind (OK, so I haven't done this in practice, but there have been times I have thought we need to shelve this for the day. Still beating the public school teacher out of me).
Prior to Christmas our curriculum was very rote, mostly out of fear of deviation. Then it dawned on me, I never taught this way so why am I doing this with the girls? Homeschool is a blessing to be able to have fun and learn. I have began to look at our curriculum to see what we're going to learn for the week and then look on Pinterest to add in games or different ways of teaching. I have really enjoyed this aspect because as a public school teacher I mourned not being able to do the fun creative stuff, the way I'm wired.
This semester we have added science and history and I love it. We do each one 2 days a week. We also enrolled them in art lessons and love that so far. These things are done with the older two together and I really like that.
There have been days that I am thinking, "What have we done? Are you kidding me? Can we be done for the day?" But I wouldn't change that for the world. I enjoy being home with the girls during the day and being their teacher. I enjoy hearing them play outside on a school day or going to Chick Fil A for lunch with fewer kids running around. I like that.
I also have to remind myself of my calling because it is easy to fall into pity and think, "If the girls were in school my days would be quieter and on days Brynlie was in school I'd have alone time and could do what I want." Those days aren't often, but they do rear their ugly head. It is a sacrifice of self to homeschool. I feel you really have to give up your free time. To me, it's a sacrificial love for the good of the family to invest into their education. It's not always easy. But it's sanctifying to say the least.
Two months in and so far, we're all surviving. Abbie is doing fantastic at cursive handwriting and can do elapsed time better than any of my third graders that I taught. Ellie's reading has improved greatly and her math skills are superb. Bryn, well, she tends to come in and make a mess with the math tiles, dump toys in the middle of the lesson, or turn up the TV very loudly. But it's greatness.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Hello, I'm Anna. I know you probably did not want random people commenting on your blog, but I was scrolling through different blogs in my boredom and when I came to yours I noticed the word homeschool. That peaked my interest! I just wanted to say that is so awesome and encourage you in this! I am a senior in high school (graduating this year) and have been homeschooled my whole life. I have 4 other siblings, and my mom took my 2 older brothers out of public school back when they were in elementary school. She then continued to homeschool the rest of us. None of us have regretted it. My oldest brother has now graduated (with honors) from college with a bachelor degree in computer science. The rest of us are still working to that point. I pray for others who have and are making this decision. I hope you never loose heart or worry about what your children might lack from not being in public school. In the end I believe we have actually gained more by our close family ties, education, and our growth in faith. I hope you find that to be true too, and to always keep God as your main focus in life. God bless you and your family!