Monday, November 05, 2012

Hands

Lately I've been thinking about my hands. Mainly because I read about the woman in Proverbs 31, specifically vs 20: She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. 
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of my hands and when I taught Pre-K I had this little boy tell me I had old lady hands. That was 4 years ago and it has stuck. They are kind of bony, pretty sure those are age spots but I have to look back at the verse, "extends her hands to the needy." Who is needy that you come across? Most frequently, it's my children. Today I have wiped snot, dried tears, cleaned pee up off the floor (and I don't even have a boy!), changed poopy diapers, carried kids, and have hugged my kids and husband. The list doesn't end there. I will be needed to help with homework, put on gymnastics clothes, change more diapers, cook dinner, help with baths, read books, and tuck sweet littles into bed and kiss them goodnight. These hands may be "old lady" hands, but I am serving my family the best I know how. 
In addition to this, I want my hands to be known not to just how I serve my own family, but those in need. Who needs a meal delivered or their kids watched? Who needs help with a project? How might I extend my hand to the poor and needy? That is where I struggle; giving of myself in a generous, abundant way without expectation but an overflow of the generosity that God has toward me. 
I guess I don't mind my old lady hands (most days) as long as I remember who they are serving.

No comments: